Sunday, April 6, 2014

One Step Forward, One Ankle Busted

While working on getting ready for the 5k obstacle race that I signed up for, I decided that I should take the Special Needs Dog with me. She was abused in a former home, and her anxiety is crushing. She does better with exercise, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.

She is, bar none, the worlds WORST running buddy. She cut across me, stopped, ran around, wrapped the least around me, and flipped out at everyone. I noticed a slight pain in the back of my ankle, but shrugged it off, did an Insanity workout, and went about my day. The next day, same story, only by the time I went to bed, the pain was bad enough that I was limping.

It didn't get better, so I took off the next few days. When I was ready to run again, I got Special Needs Dog and my husband and started running. I got two houses down the street before I was limping. We ended up taking Monster Dog and Special Needs Dog on a walk, and went for a walk today. It's been killing me

Talking to my husband and a running enthusiast coworker, I realized several things:

  1. Running in toddler-age shoes is bad. Seriously. My coworker asked about the age of my shoes and I realized that I was using the same sneakers that I had during the London Olympic Games. (whoops!). So the shock-absorbtion is gone, the rubber is dried out, and I'm an idiot. 
  2. My viewpoint on working out is messed up. It's either all or nothing, and if I miss a workout, I end up trying to "make it up" by doing a second workout the next day. And so on. Basically, I'm guaranteed that I'll be injured and/or burned out. 
So I'm working to make changes. But right now, I'm just RICE-ing.

No comments: